Cook and Cool: 3 cups cooked coconut brown rice (1 cup raw brown rice + 200 mL/1/2 can coconut milk + 1 cup water).
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil or toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
- 2 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp curry powder (mild, medium or hot)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 orange, grated zest of (2 Tbsp)
- 4-6 scallions (green onions) or chives, finely chopped
- 3 medium oranges, chopped into bite size pieces (or chopped Red Delicious apples)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1-14 oz (398mL) can adzuki beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp dark raisins
- 6 cups Romaine lettuce, bok choy or arugula
Garnish: 1/2 cup raw or toasted pumpkin seeds (or chopped cashews or pecans)
- Cook coconut rice and allow to cool.
- Place cooked, cooled coconut rice into a large serving salad bowl.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl or glass measure and whisk together. Drizzle over rice and combine well.
- Zest orange. Add scallions, fruit and bell pepper. (If using oranges, add just before serving.)
- Add beans and raisins.
- Serve on individual beds of greens, and garnish.
Victoria Laine, RHN is an Edmonton-based nutritionist and author. Her first book Health By Chocolate was a national bestseller. Her second book Real-Life Vegan Foundation Diet, available August 2015, features this recipe. Her ebook The How-To Gluten-Free Vegan Baking Book is available at www.victoria-laine.com.